ColdFusion and MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
kyeatABS
2008-04-02 16:18:05 UTC
Trying to get ColdFusion (Developers Edition) to communicate with MS SQL Server
2005 (Enterprise Edition). I have ColdFusion running on username = admin;
password = as set up when installed. Have also tried setting up a user account
with my Windows desktop username and password in case ColdFusion needed to be
logged on as the same user as the SQL server. I have full admin permissions on
the SQL Server (with Windows authentication), and am the database "owner" of
the database on the server. In either ColdFusion login case, when I try to "add
a data source", with driver = Microsift SQL Server, I get.....
Connection verification failed for data source: CFtoVolcano
java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Login
failed for user 'kewing'.
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC
Driver][SQLServer]Login failed for user 'kewing'.
Went to help files (troubleshooting area) and verified that the local web
browser (IIS) and Cold Fusion ARE running. Next step takes me to "Change
ColdFusion user account" which starts with "Open Control Panel and select
ColdFusion 8 App Server and click Startup". I don't see that choice in
MyComputer/ControlPanel. Not even sure if this is going to ba another dead end
anyway!!!

HELP! This shouldn't be this difficult! I'm not using some weird version of
SQL!
JR "Bob" Dobbs
2008-04-02 16:58:11 UTC
To use the default SQL drivers bundled with CF you need to use SQL
authentication (which is disabled by default I think) in SQL Server 2005. If
you enable SQL (mixed mode) authentication and create a user you can then add
the data source in the CF admin.

Alternatively, in order to use integrated windows authentication with SQL
server your CF service needs to run as specific user. (It sounds like you've
already done this) and you will need to use Microsoft's JDBC driver

Driver download (MS JDBC Driver)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C47053EB-3B64-4794-950D
-81E1EC91C1BA&displaylang=en

Connecting with Integrated authentication (MS JDBC Driver)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378428.aspx#Connectingintegrated
JR "Bob" Dobbs
2008-04-02 17:00:05 UTC
To troubleshoot running your ColdFusion service under a Windows user account.
http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_17279
kyeatABS
2008-04-03 20:10:25 UTC
Thanks Bob. This is exactly what I needed!!